Daily Archives: August 12, 2010

Could it be?!

An FO post? When was the last time I had one of these?

Pattern: Shalom Cardigan (ravel it)
Needles: US size 8
Yarn: Squoosh Fiber Arts Merino Cashmere Sport -Passionfruit
I completed this sweater back in February, kittens. I’ll try to remember as many details about this knit as I can. My project page on Ravelry doesn’t contain much, and, let’s face it, I have the short term memory of a goldfish most days.
This cardigan was less a Shalom as inspired by the pattern. Because honestly, there is very little in common between mine and the original; I used it more as a template and a road map.
I’ll admit this up front: I never cared for the original pattern and dismissed it as rather bulky and unattractive. That’s the nicest way I can put the sentiment and I’m leaving it there: it just wasn’t for me. But then, something happened: my Ravelry buds started knitting this sweater. And they were attractive! (OK, so the last one was knit around the same time as mine, but it’s another fine example of how when done right, the pattern could be very cute.)Why? They were knitted in a worsted weight and the sleeves were not so ridiculously winged out. And they had actual sleeves rather then just leaving the yoke hanging out there.
So I took inspiration from all the worsted weight Shalom I saw, and I got to thinking, “if they made it in worsted, and I prefer lighter yarn knit at a looser gauge…and I live in the middle of HOT-ALL-THE-TIME land…why not try this in an MCN sport at a worsted gauge?”
BINGO.
And that, kittens, is where this idea took off from.
While I was at it, I decided the sweater needed sleeves, more buttons down the front, and some of the twisted rib detailing in places other then the yoke. All simple enough to do. Because of my gauge, I did an extra column of the ribbing up top. All of these details made my cardi unlike the original it was based.
The rest is history.
The only thing I would change now, if I could, is knitting this a bit smaller. When I cast on, I was at the highest my weight has ever been and since discovering a food allergy, I’ve dropped 15 pounds. So what used to fit perfectly is now a bit loose. For the time being, it works, but in the future, I may have to play with taking some width out of it.

WIP it

Ah, so I’m back to you. (Yes, I’m reusing the photo because it looks exactly like this, but the twisted rib is on the opposite side. Miles of stockinette with 5 stitches of twisted rib. Only so many pictures I can take of that, kittens.)
This was on hiatus back in April and I’m finally working on it again. I’m hoping to finish within the week, and I should be able to make it. I have some doubts about this project: the body fits really well, but I had decided to elongate the armholes in an attempt to make them larger. I now realize that I should have bound off more stitches but left them the same depth. I may be getting…creative…with this.
*Ahem*
I have nothing else on needles and this is the last of the UFOs I was hoping to work on and finish in August. I have 2 swiffer heads that need a round of crochet attached and those are finished as well, but I’m not in a rush, and they are not causing me any anxiety.